Sometimes, I am embarrassed to have a US passport.
Don’t get me wrong—I am thankful for the rights, freedoms,
and responsibilities that accompany my US citizenship. I am grateful to live in
a country where my voice is valued, I can move freely, express my opinion,
advocate for myself and others, and to pursue my dreams and ambitions.
But…
Who am I to hold in my hand this little blue book that
permits me to travel freely? To move through the checkpoints without a second
glance or to be granted the highest level of security—simply because I’m
American?
I get embarrassed to have this beautiful book whose pages
tell the stories of my travels through the stamps and visas that fill its pages—Norway,
Iceland, Denmark, Israel, England, Germany, France, Scotland. I am embarrassed
because this little blessing, something that cost a small amount of paperwork
and money, is a status symbol. A very public expression that my country is free—and
therefore, so am I.
My passport is always with me. As an American abroad, it’s
an at-all-times essential. At any given moment, I can tell you where it is,
reach for it, hand it to you, and wait without anxiety about whether or not I
will be able to carry on my way. And I am thankful for that.
I am living in a place where most people do not have
passports. Living in the West Bank, I am a 7 mile bus ride to Jerusalem; yet my
friends, my host family, and the majority of my community here is not permitted
to go into Jerusalem. Why? Because they don’t have permission. Why don’t they
have permission? Because they are Palestinian. Once or twice a year, some
people are granted permits that last about a month to go and visit the holy
sites—to pray or to worship at places that were previously (within the past
decade) open and accessible to them. And even then, they must pass through
checkpoints, where they are interrogated, humiliated, and dehumanized by
soldiers before they will ever be allowed to enter Israel, land that used to be
their home. It’s not right, fair, or just in any way.
I am grateful for all the rights and privileges that come
from being a US citizen, for the ability to possess a passport and move from
here to there….and really, anywhere my heart desires. But living in a place
where so many people do not have the same privilege is humbling. Gut-wrenching.
Heartbreaking. And so I am a little embarrassed to be holding my pretty blue
passport as I go through the checkpoints, inadvertently advertising my
freedoms.
And so I ask again: Who am I to have born in a free country?
It’s certainly not because I’m a better person than anyone else. Why should I
be able to move freely in the Holy Land as a foreigner while the natives of
this land cannot even travel the short distance to visit what they consider to
be the capital of their land? How is it that some people are born under
Occupation, while others are born free? Why have I met relatively few
challenges in my life, when children much younger than me struggle world-wide
to meet their basic needs? Why do innocent people have to suffer? When will
this conflict come to an end? Why should I have the right to carry a passport?
I am having a problem with my own privilege. And it’s
a big problem, you see, because even while I am appalled at the injustice in
the world, I am still thankful for that passport, for my freedom, for the privileges
that I have grown up in….without always recognizing myself as a person of great
freedom. I appreciate my passport &
all that it symbolizes, but I’m realizing that along with my rights and
freedoms, it has also become a reminder of the responsibility that I hold.
As a passport carrying, well-traveled, educated, young
American woman, I have an obligation to tell the story of those whose voices
are muffled or stifled by biased media. I can-and must-tell of the hospitality,
resilience, hope, and great faith that defines the life of the Palestinian
people. These are the people who have loved me, welcomed me, befriended me, and
never once judged me for coming from a country that continues to oppress them.
What an experience of grace this is.
I do not know why I was born in a free country; I do not
know how or why I have been so abundantly blessed in a world where injustice
rages rampant. I do know, however, that I cannot keep silent. I cannot close my
eyes to the injustices that are present in our world. I must speak, telling
stories, sharing experiences, and advocating for those that cannot advocate for
themselves.
And so, every day when I check my purse to make sure I have
my passport, I will be thankful. I will be mindful of the gift it is. And I
will be motivated to speak.
Amazing! And, true. You are a wonderful writer, Laura. And, remember, you were born exactly when and where you should have been. And, you are using your privilege and the happy circumstances of your birth to make a difference. God bless you.
ReplyDeleteLaura, I have been reading some of your writings, and Brenda is right, you are a very thoughtful and amazing writer. I love to read your work. Don't forget the generations before you, not so far removed and not so long ago. My grandparents and your great-grandparents, Hilda and Andrew, and also the Norman family, and people from your father's side of the family. Those people each made deliberate decisions to come to America, because they had the foresight to know that they and their children and grandchildren would have better lives and priviledges that could not be had in the "old country". They were very, very proud of their heritage but also extremely grateful that they were able to make a life in America. I don't want them to be forgotten. Just something else for you to think about as you continue to find your way. Your cousin, Cindy B.
ReplyDeleteLaura, I have felt so many of the same emotions that you are feeling. I ask myself, "why did we win the lottery of life?" Wow, there are so many beautiful and profound and thought-provoking statements in this blog entry. Powerful. :)
ReplyDelete