Crisp, evening air.
Towering pines kissing the sky as they stretch towards the
heavens.
The crunch of gravel and cool grass under Chaco-clad feet.
The loons call in the distance, the waves lap. A guitar is
being tuned.
The chatter of children is heard as they bundle up against cool
breezes and relentless mosquitoes.
Conversations about tomorrow’s schedule and the events of
the day fill the air.
Brilliant colors painting the sky-golden yellows, deep indigos, rich reds, pinks, and oranges.
The faint glimmer of stars in the darkening sky.
The crackle and snap of a fire.
The smell of wood smoke mixes with the scent of the trees, water,
and the clean Minnesota air.
And the familiar chord progression breaks through the symphony
of evening sounds,
As the camp rouser begins.
Familiar words are sung with enthusiasm. Clapping and hand
gestures accompany the tune.
The camp cheer rings out, loud and clear over the lake—
—followed by the sound of complete and utter silence (until
someone giggles!)
Silly songs, words of praise, a message, Scripture readings.
Community. Friendship.
Time for rowdy energy, giving thanks for the day.
Some moments of reflection and thoughts to ponder.
And quiet chords of love, grace, and peace send us on our
way.
Sending tired bodies to snuggle into their sleeping bags-perhaps
clutching a beloved stuffed animal, a letter from Mom, or the hand of a new friend
in their dark cabin.
Worship materials are collected, guitars returned to their
cases, and the fire extinguished.
It is the end of another campfire, another day.
These evening campfires, the sights, sounds, scents, and
memories are forever ingrained on my heart and my mind. The smiles of campers,
the feeling of a small hand in mine, the joyful noise that proclaims the glory
of God; the picture of dusky clouds framing the northwoods as evening falls; I
can picture these evenings with perfect clarity.
I have been to countless campfires during my time as a
camper and staff member at Voyageurs Lutheran Ministry. And each worship
service is powerful, rich, and Spirit-filled. I can see the tie-dyed t-shirts,
the painted faces from all-camp game, the dozen pairs of Chacos, and the orange
blaze of the fire. I can hear the brave voice of the camper who volunteered to read
scripture or teach a song, the echo of the camp cheer, the power of God’s Still
Small Voice speaking through moments of prayer and silence. I can feel the
warmth of that fire, the love of community in the midst of a hug prayer, our
petitions mixing and mingling above us, and pure, inexplicable joy & peace.
As I remember these beautiful, precious moments, there is a
twinge of sadness about not being at camp this summer. That’s hard. But far
exceeding any disappointment or heartache is a vault of deep gratitude for my
time at camp, the lessons that I learned, the relationships build, the safety of
community, and the way I have grown into myself around those campfires.
Even as I write this, eager staff members are preparing for
camp. For some, it’s familiar and exciting. For others, it’s a little scary. So
too, are the many campers anticipating their time at camp this summer; there
might be some who have complete confidence, along with others who harbor some fear
and uncertainty. That’s okay! What I’ve learned during my many summers in God’s
Great Northwoods is that it’s okay to bring your excitement, your fears,
questions, and joys to camp. Camp is a place where you can just be yourself-and
you will be welcomed, loved, and affirmed as the beautiful child of God that
you are.
There are countless other moments I could have reflected on—Bible
Study, morning worship, overnights, weekends with staff, all camp game—but for
me, campfire really embodies what camp is. It’s a time in our lives for us to
slow down, be ourselves, worship our Creator, nurture friendships, be silly, grow
into ourselves, marvel at the beautiful gift of life, and rest in the knowledge
that we are loved.
And so, even though I have a couple more months before I
will find myself on the shores of Deer Lake, gazing up at Grandfather Pine at
Camp Hiawatha, or in the forested wilderness of Camp Vermilion, gazing up at
the stars that take my breath away, I know that I carry the memories, lessons,
and love of camp with me. My heart is in the woods.
It’s Great to be Alive in God’s Great Northwoods!
Very well written! I can picture many of the things that you wrote about. Your friend - my Son - Erik Grayvold has had many of the same experiences at Fortune Lake Lutheran Camp in Michigan's U.P.
ReplyDeletePeace be with you as you continue your journey.